Sunday, June 28, 2009

Retirement Observations

You’d think that after being retired for 12 years, I’d be well rested and bored to tears with nothing to do, but actually, I can’t even seem to keep up with all the little jobs it takes to maintain and improve a house and yard. I’ll never understand how I was able to get anything done around the house while working a full time job, often with lots of overtime, and then putting in one or two weekends a month in the Air Force Reserve. I know I don’t have the drive I had when I was younger, but except for my morning coffee run, I don’t feel like I’m goofing off that much. I only wish my energy level matched some of my coffee drinking friends.

One is a retired Exxon executive who was recently elected mayor of Lindale. The job pays nothing, and despite being in his seventies, he usually puts in a full day conducting the city’s business.

Another friend is in his early seventies, and he decided to take a job substitute teaching. Now, that’s a job that wears out even a young person, and our district doesn’t pay substitutes very well, so it’s certainly not the lure of fast money.

Another over-seventy buddy is a retired college professor and lately he’s been spending his day on a Caterpillar, felling trees and clearing a road around his lake.

I sure wish I had the energy level these guys have. They manage to do the usual household chores, plus a lot more. Maybe when the weather gets cooler…or maybe not.

No comments: