Tuesday, June 16, 2009

First Harvest


If a thief doesn't get it, I should be harvesting the first vine ripened tomato tomorrow. The variety is called Big Beef, and it's bearing faster than the old reliable Early Girl. I just hope it tastes as good as it looks.

Lots of small tomatoes and buds, so I hope we have a good crop this year. Last year, the plants wouldn't set fruit early in the year and then the pests got to them.

A volunteer melon of some kind has also set fruit and is growing quickly. It climbed a tomato vine, so I don't know if the melon will continue to hang there, or if it will drag the tomato vine down after it gets heavier.

2 comments:

RitaSV said...

Our tomatoes are just setting blooms! LOL Congratulations on your harvest!

Castle said...

We've had a few Cherry Tomatoes off ours already. Didn't plant any large breed this year.
Congrads, nothing like vine ripe.
I just walked in with some Peaches off our Dwarf Tree though.