Thursday, June 25, 2009

The Curse of Threes

Once again the curse of threes has hit the entertainment world, as three celebrities have died in the past few days.

I never watched the Tonight Show, so I really know nothing about Ed McMahon’s entertainment career, but I do know he was a Marine fighter pilot and retired as a Brigadier General in the California ANG. That’s all I need to know to have respect for the man.

I know even less about Farrah Fawcett. I recall that she was one of the original Charlie’s Angels, but I seldom watched the show, so I don’t have an opinion about her acting skills. I vaguely recall her in a movie or two, but nothing memorable, and I honestly didn’t find her that attractive. However, I feel sorry for anyone who suffered from cancer that long.

Michael Jackson’s death was sort of a shock, but no matter how much talent he had, I find it difficult to feel much sympathy for a child molester, drug user, and scam artist. The poor devil looked like the main attraction in a carnival freak show and obviously had serious mental problems. No surprise that the mainstream media is all atwitter, but I did find it odd to see a full hour of Fox news covering the story. Thank goodness for digital recorders that let you fast forward through a show.

I guess I’m becoming callous in my old age, but the trials, tribulations, and demise of celebrities is not something I waste my time contemplating. I was far more affected by accidentally killing a mockingbird today. It flew across the road in front of me, but then turned around and tried to go back again. There was no way I could dodge it. A few months ago, I hit a male cardinal in a similar fashion and it really bothers me when that happens.

On a brighter note, a male ruby-throat hit the window tonight and was knocked out. I was certain it was dying, but Judy held him for quite a while and then placed him on the patio table. He apparently recovered, as he was gone when I checked a half-hour later.

I don’t know what else we can do to keep hummingbirds from hitting our windows. We applied some special decals that are supposed to make it easier for the bird to see the glass, and I also hung a fern in front of the window, but they still fly into it.

2 comments:

Castle said...

I know what your saying. I find myself dodging field mice on the road. I just hate to see something killed for nothing other than trying to get through it's day.
I once saw a Valley Quail fly full speed into a glass window. It didn't get too far.

friar tuck said...

Now it's five -- with Billy Mays and Gale Storm. I didn't really care for Billy's style, but I recognize his talent -- and it's a genuine talent that can do what he did.
Gale Storm, on the other hand, was one of my favorites. I remember watching My Little Margie" when I was a kid. Guess I had a genuine crush on her. She used to be in westerns too, and I enjoyed those movies.