Friday, April 17, 2009

Yes, I'm a Bird Brain



I never tire of watching wildlife and we’re fortunate to have an abundance of bird species in this part of Texas, so there’s never a shortage of birds to observe and enjoy.

This morning, just as the sun was rising, I was sitting on the patio with a cup of coffee while listening to the sounds of hundreds of birds greeting the day. Although they don’t sing as one, and their songs are quite different, the morning symphony beats anything humans can create, or even imagine. The intense singing lasts about a half-hour after sunrise and then the voices become fewer as the birds begin their daily chores.

A pair of Eastern Bluebirds decided to build a nest in our unoccupied Purple Martin house this year. I had seen them sitting on the top perch, but didn’t realize they had built a nest until I saw them arrive with beak’s full of bugs this morning. They were hesitant to go inside while I was sitting so close, but eventually the calls of hungry babies overcame their fear of me.

We now have two pairs of Bluebirds busy raising their broods. I hope they both raise multiple broods so we have a yard full of them spending the winter.

The Tufted Titmouse nesting in our hollow tree must still be sitting on eggs. Now and then I see her fly in, but she’s not carrying food or making frequent trips yet.

Eons ago, when I was in grade school, we found an injured Meadowlark on the playground. Its wing was broken so it couldn’t fly, but being a bird species that spends much of it’s time on the ground, it got around very well on its legs. Being typical kids, we took it in and let it roam our one-room schoolhouse during the day. The teacher was very understanding, so our little feathered guest was no problem. He just hopped around checking things out while we were having classes and stayed in a grass-lined box at night. Feeding it was simple since wheat is a favorite Meadowlark food and there is lots of wheat in North Dakota. He knew when it was feeding time and would perch on our knees and eat from our hands. He became very tame when he realized we fed and protected him.

One day I was sitting on the floor when the bird hopped up on my shoulder, threw its head back and began to sing. Wow! To hear that beautiful song only inches from my ear was something I’ll never forget.

I wish birds and animals could better sense the intent of humans as I would love to study them at close range. Hummingbirds are nearly fearless, but most bird species do their best to avoid people in the wild.

1 comment:

Delores said...

I loved reading that story of the bird in school hopping on your shoulder and singing! What a gift to you, such a bird lover.