Thursday, April 30, 2009

Up Jumped the Devil

My grandmother used to warn us that we should never mention the devil’s name aloud as he would take it as an invitation to show up. Not that I've been talking about the devil, but it often happens that when we discuss something that hasn’t happened in a long time, it happens almost immediately.

Two days ago, Judy commented on the fact that VP Biden hadn’t been seen or heard in several weeks. I opined that he was probably locked up someplace with no microphones around to tempt him, but then he quickly pops up to make an idiotic statement about Swine Flu.

Yesterday, we were discussing all the birds we have around here and I mentioned that I had yet to see a Redheaded Woodpecker, though they are in this area. This morning, I looked out the window and a male Redhead landed on the dead tree where the Titmouse made her nest. He looked into the hole, decided there was nothing in there for him and flew off to find something more interesting.

I was also talking about the recent absence of scorpions. Last year, they were all over the place and then they suddenly disappeared. Well, I mentioned that fact over coffee last week, and today I saw a scorpion on the driveway.

With all those recent coincidences, I’m not going to say anything about…Well, I just won’t mention it.

No comments: