Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Catching Up Again

Winter took its last dying stab at us last night. The forecast was for temps in the low twenties just a few miles to the north of us, so I gathered all the plants from the patio, put them in one place and covered them with a tarp. The hanging ferns were carryovers from last year and I didn't want to lose them, so they went back into the garage to spend the night.

When I got up just before daylight, it was 36F on the patio, but when I drove into town for coffee, the low meadows were white with frost. It looked odd to see all that fresh, green grass and spring flowers covered in white. According to the morning weather report, we set new low temperature records again. I hope they told Al Gore, so the moron can add that info to his computer models.

I e-filed my income tax last night so today was a day to relax and work in the yard. I fertilized all the shrubs, pulled weeds and cleaned up some of the dead branches that were knocked down by several days of gusty winds.

One of my coffee buddies has been putting in a solar power generating system this week. It will produce enough power to supply his needs all day, plus sell some back to the power company. If our power company would buy back the excess power, I'd think about installing a system, but they are a Co-op and have operating rules that won't allow them to do that yet.

No comments: