Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Thanksgiving Day




Thanksgiving Day already, but at least this time I have a head start on the cooking. I deep fried a 14 lb turkey today; the first time I’ve cooked only one bird for a holiday, and the first time I cooked it the day before. Of course, nothing gets done without problems. I thought I had a nearly full tank of propane, but ran out with ten minutes of cooking time left. I had to put the turkey in the oven for a short time to finish cooking, but it should be okay.

It will be just the two of us and the dogs this year, so it should be quiet. At least there won’t be tons of leftovers to tempt us into days of gluttony, but the poor dogs will load up on oil-drenched skin and fat. I know we shouldn’t feed them that junk, but they love it, and seem to show no ill effects from years of indulging.

Wish I still enjoyed watching football, since the Dallas Cowboys always play on Thursday, but I'm fed up with professional sports of all kinds. Now that it looks like that dog-fighting quarterback is getting out of prison already, I have one more reason to hate the pros. I think the only group of people with more crooks in their midst is Congress.

No, that's not me in the video, but it shows the rookie mistake everyone seems to make the first time they try frying.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL!!! I'm glad that's not my 'Dave'!! Hope your Thanksgiving is a happy one....

The littles came over on Monday and we all made lefse together. They had a blast! Both of them did extremely well and I think Rachel might be a natural cook.

Anonymous said...

Lefse, gotta work that one into my skills. Ditto Mom's rolls.

K