Monday, November 24, 2008

Let them Declare Bankruptcy

Listening to the rhetoric about the auto company bailout is becoming frustrating. In my opinion, they should not be bailed out, but the ridiculous charges from the uneducated are as bad as the bailout plans.

I've heard several people say that Detroit should be making cars people want. Well, should they be making cars people want to drive today, or in 2011? Those are the cars they are designing at this very minute. It takes 30-36 months from the time a build decision is made, until the cars hit the showroom. It also costs 2-3 billion dollars to bring a new model to market. It's not chump change, and it doesn't happen quickly.

If you can tell me what the price of gas will be in late 2010, I can tell you what cars would probably sell at the time. If you can tell me what new government regulations will be written between now and then, it will also give me an idea which cars will sell. While you are at it, tell me the content of federal and state tax laws that will be written in the next three years, and don't forget to find out which fuels blends will be available. They all affect car sales.

Let the American companies declare bankruptcy so they can get rid of the anchors that weigh them down now. Like the Japanese, they can then move their factories to Podunk, Mississippi, and get tax abatements from the state, county and city. They can also hire a young, non-union workforce, so they can finally compete with the Japanese and Koreans on a level playing field.

One more thing...just for the record. Yes, private jets are expensive, but when a dozen people are traveling together, it's more cost effective to charter than to fly commercial. Besides, the GM and Ford boards of directors dictate that senior executives use private aircraft for security reasons.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am thinking (already established as dangerous territory) but with the bail out er, loan. I want some collateral. I know your feelings on Chrysler so what model should I demand from them? I already want a Mustang from Ford. Not sure on what truck I want from GM.

My honest belief is that as a taxpayer, I should have something to hold so that if the "loan" is not repaid in a timely fashion...kinda like if I took out a loan on a car.

Not an original thought I am sure. But the whole thing ticks me.
k.