Friday, November 28, 2008

Favorite Holiday Foods


I suppose nearly every family has a traditional holiday dish that is passed down from generation to generation. My Norwegian heritage means that lefse is a favorite for Christmas, and it’s the only food I really miss if I don’t have some on Christmas Day. For you non-Scandinavians, lefse is potato based and looks like a slightly scorched flour tortilla. It’s delicious covered with butter and sugar, and then rolled into an easy-to-eat cigar shape.

My mother’s buns are another holiday favorite that I recall from my childhood. It’s been many years since I last had them, but after getting the recipe from my daughter, I decided to make my first batch for Thanksgiving...actually, a double batch. They don’t look exactly like the ones Mom made, but they taste the way I remember, so I must have done everything close to right.

Now I can see why the buns were a holiday special, since they are far more difficult to make than bread…at least the kind I make with the bread machine. I’m used to dumping all the ingredients into the machine and standing back while everything happens automatically, and 4 hours later a fresh-baked loaf sits on the rack to cool. My bread is also good, but no match for Mom’s buns.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

They look like they turned out great!!! I made 4 double batches yesterday. They were a hit as usual, as was the lefse. Even Amanda's boyfriend Nick liked the lefse and he'd never had it before. LOL

Delores said...

I'm impressed! They do look like Mom's buns and now I am inspired to maybe make a batch for Christmas this year.

Your branch of the family has kept those baking traditions alive much better than mine. I think my working in a bakery all those years made it too easy to just pick some up.