Friday, November 7, 2008

Lost in the Fifties


We were sitting at our computers tonight and listening to oldies music Judy had recorded on her Windows Media Player. A song came on that I didn’t recognize, but she was singing along and knew all the words. Now, I love old music, and I pride myself on my ability to identify within a year or two when a song was recorded. However, that song drew a complete blank. When I asked what year it was recorded, she said it was 1968. I shouldn’t have been surprised, because while I can recall nearly every pop song written between 1955 and 1965, I remember almost nothing from the late 60’s and early 70’s. When the protest music came into vogue, I turned off the entire pop music world. That was also the time of the British bands, and I never could get into their music. I guess I’m one of the few people who can barely tolerate the Beatles. Some of their songs are good, but I prefer them done by someone else.

There was no talk radio during those years, so I’m not sure what I listened to. I suppose I might have switched to country music, since it was free of the drug-influenced anti-everything agenda.

Once they lost me, I never again developed an interest in pop music, and until a few oldies stations began playing 50’s stuff, my music listening was limited to cassettes by my favorite artists. Today, I mostly listen to talk radio, with Rush Limbaugh being my favorite. Thankfully, we have an oldies AM station in Dallas, and Sirius has a couple of channels that play my kind of music. The Dallas station call sign is KAAM, and they have a great Saturday night call-in show hosted by ‘Cruisin’ Al Taylor’. In winter, I have to listen on the Internet since they reduce their power after dark.

If anyone else enjoys American rock and roll from the pre-Beatles era, you can listen from 6PM until midnight central time on: http://www.kaamradio.com/. They have a sister station in Colorado Springs that streams the same show on: http://www.1530kcmn.com/, but they don’t broadcast the first hour of the show.

No comments: