Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Chinese Junk

No, I don't mean the odd-looking little boat with the square sails...it's probably built to last, since it's not destined for the US market. However, all the rest of the junk manufactured in that country should be illegal to import.

Recently, I've had more than my share of their crap failing. Our year-old house was built with upgraded items in nearly every case, and apparently paying more meant nothing, because even so-called high-end items are now made in China.

Since we moved in, several light fixtures have either broken or burned out...two toilets have had bad valves...a switch in the microwave failed...a vent fan seized…the doorbell fell apart…nickel plating is coming off the door knobs...”top quality” cabinet hinges were defective when new, and ditto for the slides. The blinds don't work as advertised, nor do the door locks, and the HVAC system quit when a Chinese-made relay failed after three months.

A few weeks ago, I bought a new weed eater, and it didn't last a half-hour before it quit working. Last week, a sensor in Judy's car failed, and yes, it was another Chinese part. When two Chinese-made starter relays failed within days in my old restored truck, I put the corroded, 35-year-old American-made part back in, and it's working fine, so I guess I can live with ugly.

What really ticks me off is the number of items made in China that are probably never touched by human hands. Why can't we use those same robots and automated production lines to build things here so we can control the quality?

No wonder our industries are failing, and government is so screwed up…they’re both being run by certifiable idiots.

No comments: