Friday, November 14, 2008

Recalling another Hero


I was looking through some old photos today, and ran across this one of my old missile launch crew from 1961 or 1962.
The officer on the left is Capt. Clark Wingate, and next to my dad, he was the most influential man in my life. He was tough, demanding, always fair, and he tempered it with a wonderful sense of humor. He always taught by example, took care of his troops, and never asked you to do anything he wouldn’t do. A born leader, but never a politician.

He is a WWII vet, having been in the 10th Mountain Division from the time they were formed until the war was over. He was another of those combat vets who never bragged about his adventures, but told the most interesting stories. Some were sad, and some were hilarious, especially when he related the antics of the world’s intelligence services. He spent time with Air Force Intelligence, so he had inside knowledge of what he called the “sneaky-peeky” organizations.

Though I’ve never had the chance to meet him since I left his crew in 1963, I’m told he retired from the Air Force as a Lieutenant Colonel, and then taught at the university level before retiring to Florida. Last I heard he had moved to Grand Junction, Colorado because he missed the skiing. Yes, though he is in his eighties, he’s still an avid skier.

The world would be a much better place if people were more like him.

No comments: