Saturday, March 14, 2009

Back in the Day



As some of you know, I’ve been a stock car racing fan since back in the days when the Daytona race was run on the beach, so I still visit several racing websites every day. Yesterday, I ran across a name I remember from the short time I worked as a car salesman at the Minot Chrysler Plymouth dealership.

The year was 1964 and the North Dakota State Fair was taking place. Our dealership sponsored a racer by the name of Ramo Stott. He was a champion in the series, so it was good advertising to have the Main Motor Sales name on the side of his ’64 Plymouth. I found this picture of him and his car on a website run by his son, who also owns a race team in the NASCAR Nationwise Series.

Notice how stock the cars were then? When’s the last time you saw a driver open the door to climb in? That’s the way stock car racing should be today.

No comments: