Saturday, February 7, 2009

Spring has Sprung



Some say the first signs of spring are when the swallows return to Capistrano, or when the buzzards return to Hinckley, Ohio, but in this part of the country, it’s when the frogs start singing in the pond out back. Last night was the first time I’ve heard frogs this year, and then today, to punctuate the frogs proclamation, our first daffodil bloomed. Spring is here!

Our old Maltese, Sassy, has been feeling down for the past two days. Yesterday, she didn’t want to eat anything in the evening, and she was disoriented when I took her out to take care of business before she went to bed for the night. She wandered around for several minutes, unsure of where she wanted to go, so I picked her up and placed her in her bed. Sometime in the middle of the night, Cricket woke me up to let her out, and on my way back to bed, I stepped in what had made Sassy sick…her undigested lunch. Nothing will wake you up any quicker than a slimy pile of dog puke under your bare foot…and it does wonders for the carpet, too. Sure glad we bought a carpet shampooer last summer.

Even after evacuating her upset stomach, Sassy still isn’t feeling well and has been sleeping nearly all day. Sometimes she gets around well and is full of vigor, but more and more often, she’s having bad days. I don’t think it will be much longer before she joins Dakota and China at the Rainbow Bridge. I just hope it happens quickly and that we don’t have to call the vet to put her down.

No comments: