Monday, February 16, 2009

Bleep!

Anyone else getting fed up with the foul mouths of the reality show “stars”? I can’t understand why those people think it’s cute to be bleeped every few seconds. They’re lucky I’m not producing those shows, because I’d fire them on the spot if they couldn’t control their language in front of the camera. I’ve pretty much quit watching television and one of the main reasons is because of the trashy conduct of the cast.

Don’t get me wrong, I have no problem with using cuss words in the appropriate situation and around the right people, but network television is not the place. Cursing should be reserved for extraordinary situations where your emotions are severely tested. It’s the rare use of curses that make them special and remembered.

One of the people on my factory crew once told me that she knew I was really angry over something that happened when she heard me say a curse word that was in common use by most of the people in the area. Her comment made my day, because that was exactly what had happened, and it was the way I wanted to portray my feelings.

Years ago, I read an article in a man’s magazine…I think it was True or Argosy. In his early teens, the author had been trying to show his father how grown up he was by cussing a blue streak in front of him. His father told him that since he was now big enough to use such words, he wanted him to learn all of them. The father then related all the words he could think of to his son and told him to repeat after him. The kid was so embarrassed that he never again cursed around his father. With a few minor exceptions, I never cursed around my father either, and with the same exceptions, he never cursed around me…and neither of us cursed around mom!

The world would be better place if the folks on those television shows would pretend they were talking around their moms.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I concur! I knew when you swore that you were on your last nerve. It sort of worked like a warning bark in prairie dog colony. If Daddy was cussing, things were more serious than we knew and we'd best pay attention! LOL

I've tried to do that in my home, too.