Saturday, January 17, 2009

Tiptoe Through the Tulips


I hope this is an indication of an early spring. I don’t recall the tulips ever being this far along in the middle of January. The amount of growth is about normal for the first week of February. The Irises are also ahead of schedule, but only one variety of the four or five I planted is showing. I don’t know if it’s an earlier variety, or if it’s just dumb, because winter is far from over. The last freeze in this part of the state is normally around the first of April, but we seldom get a killing frost after early March.

Yesterday, one of my old coffee drinking buddies said he’s been preparing his garden to plant peas, so I’ll have to follow his lead since I always plant too late. I’m used to the Western Washington schedule, and that’s too late if you want your plants to survive the summer heat.

No comments: