Saturday, January 3, 2009

Sunny, Sad, Summer Saturday

Yep, the weather yo-yo was on the upswing again today. It was 76 degrees when I went shopping and WalMart was filled with short shorts, tank tops and sandals. several convertibles had their tops down and if there were leaves on the trees, you'd swear it was May, not January.

Sassy, the oldest of our furry pack is not doing well. Some days she has trouble walking and now she often forgets where she is and what she's doing. She's had several accidents on the floor when she apparently thinks she is outside. It's reached the point that I've been taking her out in the middle of the night so she doesn't have to struggle to find the doggy door.

I gave her a haircut today, and while she looks better, her fur still looks dull, yellow and unhealthy. Even a bath fails to make it shiny.

The mobile vet will be coming next week to give the other dogs their shots and to check Belle's thyroid condition. We've been debating whether to have her put Sassy down, but just about the time I think we should, Sassy struggles up to me, sticks her nose against my leg to verify that it's me, and then wags her tail with happiness. Her dark, silent world must be lonely, but as long as she knows we're still here, she seems happy. Dogs bring so much happiness...and heartbreak. I just wish she would go to sleep tonight and not wake up in the morning.

No comments: