Saturday, January 10, 2009

Music on a Saturday night

Saturday night is my weekly opportunity to escape to another time and another place, and the KAAM radio link over in the right column, is the means I use. I seldom watch television, but my radio is on nearly all the time, and I always make an effort to be free to listen to Crusin’ Al Taylor’s oldies show that runs from 6 PM until midnight Central time, on Saturday.

Late Spring and Summer are great as they seldom have a reason to pre-empt the show, but in Winter, the show takes a back seat to SMU basketball and that’s why I have time to post tonight. SMU is playing UTEP.

My guess is that far more people listen to Cruisin’ Al playing Elvis and Buddy Holly, than listen to the ball game, but I suppose the ball game pays the bills.

When I bought my new van, it came with a one year subscription to Sirius satellite radio, and it has only one good oldies channel plus over 100 channels that I never listen to. Their meager offering of oldies music might be a reason satellite radio is in trouble. If they offered an ala carte menu so I could get my conservative talk shows along with a couple of golden oldies channels for a reduced price, I’d happily renew my subscription. What they offer now isn't worth $12 a month.

Well, the ball game is over, so it’s time to escape again….

No comments: