Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Weather and Wildlife Report


Last Friday morning, after putting off watering because of the daily promises of thundershowers, I began dragging hoses around to water our parched St. Augustine lawn. That afternoon, It began raining and dumped over two inches before it temporarily stopped. Saturday evening, it began again and has been raining off and on ever since. We've now accumulated over seven inches and the forecast is for three more days of showers before it clears up. Just north of here, they have had over eleven inches. After so long without rain, I'm not going to complain.

When the dozens of hummingbirds left a couple of weeks ago, I thought we were pretty much done feeding for the year. For several days, a half-dozen birds were all that visited our feeders, and that's typical of what we've experienced in the past. Then one day, we suddenly had dozens of birds again and it's been like that for over a week. I've been making a gallon of sugar water every day and some days I've had to make more than one. I think they are waiting out the rain and the southerly winds before continuing their migration. When the wind switches to the north again, I suppose this big batch of birds will leave too.

No comments: