Saturday, September 5, 2009

Meeting the Tea Party Express

The Tea Party Express busses were in Dallas yesterday and an estimated 3,000-4,000 people showed up to greet them and wish them well on their trip to Washington to attend the 912 rally. I heard they actually made the national news, though I didn’t see it.

Their next stop after leaving Dallas was a rest stop along Interstate 30, outside the small town of Mt. Vernon, TX. One of the people on the bus said they expected 10-20 people to show up. As Gomer Pyle would say…Surprise! Surprise! Surprise! There were at least 1,000 of us in the unruly mob. Some folks drove as much as five hours to join us. It was a 45 mile trip for me, but what a nice bunch of people I got to visit with. Some days I listen to the network news and can’t help but be disillusioned, and then I attend one of these events and my faith is renewed again.

Thousands of cars and trucks driving by showed their support by blowing their horns and waving. Texas really has a lot of patriotic people…or right-wing extremists, as the administration prefers to call us.

One of the guys on the bus was black, but we know he was paid by the RNC, because there are no black conservatives, yet he stood on the back of a truck and yelled: “I’m not an African-American, I’m an American!” I think he got the biggest cheer of the day from all the racists that we know populate these events.

I should have had a camera along, as some of the signs were priceless. One person carried a sign that declared that she was a Democrat, but she was fed up with Congress and the President trying to destroy our country.

I wish I could go to Washington for the big tea party, but I guess we'll have to do our protesting here in Texas.

Here are a couple of links to the event:

TPE Blog

Hideaway blog

No comments: