Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Merry Christmas!....Bah, Humbug!

When I went grocery shopping yesterday, I wanted to pick up something from the WalMart garden shop, but when I got there, I found the garden supplies gone and the shelves filled with toys. My God, it’s not even Labor Day and they’re getting ready for Christmas!

Today, I was shopping at Lowes, and found their garden and patio section filled with Halloween junk, including a human-sized witch that moved and cackled. I was so impressed, I wanted to hurl. At least they are two holidays behind WalMart, but since Halloween is still nearly two months away, they’re pushing it too.

That sort of nonsense takes all the fun out the holidays. By the time Christmas arrives, I’m so sick of the pre-season marketing, that all I want is for January 1st to arrive so the winter doldrums can set in. Maybe I'm getting old and crotchety, but that's just the way it is.

2 comments:

friar tuck said...

Re: WalMart Christmas stuff out already -- I knew China was in a different time zone, but I didn't think they were *that* far ahead of us! :-)

Castle said...

They've been discussing this over on the News Outlets. Supposedly this is more to do with the economy and Lay-Aways than the usual Marketing Jump.
Makes sense that more people will need more time paying for this Holiday season.