Friday, July 3, 2009

Sassy



Sassy, our little 15-year-old Maltese, died July 2, 2009 in Lindale, TX.

Sassy was born Aug 23, 1993, to Terry’s Lucky Toby and Karl’s Chinese Lotus, in Auxvasse Mo. Yes, she had a pedigree, but she was never registered. She wasn’t a show dog and was never intended to be. She was just a little white dog that weighed only five pounds, but thought she was a hundred-pound Rottweiler.

Sassy had no fear. If she heard a noise that needed investigating, she would launch off the bed at a full run and travel ten feet before she touched the floor. If one of the big dogs accidentally hurt her in play, she’d latch onto their muzzle and growl like a banshee while they swung her around trying to shake her loose. When you carried her, you had to hold tight, because she would jump out of your arms if something looked interesting, or if you were too slow putting her down. If a strange dog headed her way, you had to grab her before she instigated a fight…no matter how big the other dog might be.

When Sassy was young, she had a terrible housebreaking problem. She knew she was supposed to go outside, but she would find a place to hide so she wouldn’t have to be bothered with going outside. Judy tried to change Sassy’s toilet practices, but that little dog would just look her in the eye and dare Judy to mete out punishment. I finally began taking her outside several times a day, and during the night I’d wake her up to take her outside, no matter if it was raining, snowing, or stifling hot. The little monster would growl at me and try to get back in the house, but I made her stay outside until she did her job. After a few weeks of that, she began to accept the fact that no amount of stubbornness would allow her to have her way, and her toilet habits improved tremendously. It must have been her instinct to defer to the wishes of the alpha male, because about that time, to Judy’s dismay, Sassy decided that she would become my dog.

Every place I went, she’d be right behind, and if I stopped, she’d stay close by. If I was on the computer, she would sleep on a little pillow next to my feet. If I was sitting in a chair watching TV, she’d hop up beside me and sleep next to me. Even as she got older, she’d do her best to keep track of where I was during the day, and during the night she slept on a pillow next to the bed.

Men are supposed to have big dogs…hunting dogs, or herding dogs, not little fluffy dogs with fancy haircuts and ribbons in their hair, but Sassy didn’t know that, and I didn’t have the heart to tell her. I’m sure people thought I was a strange duck, driving down the street with a freshly groomed little Maltese sitting on my lap, head hanging out the window, with her ribbons blowing in the wind.

The past couple of years haven’t been good for her. She began to go blind soon after we moved here in 2007, and it progressed very quickly. Her hearing also began to go, and at the last, she was nearly deaf. Only a yell or a very loud noise could get her attention. Only her nose still worked, and she’d find her way around the house and yard, sometimes bumping into things, but never giving up.

Despite her ailments, she’d still go outside and stand by the fence waiting for me to come home. She’d sometimes stand there for hours, and when I got home, the first thing I’d see is her little nose poking through a gap in the fence. Then she’d follow her nose through the doggy door and hurry to greet me when I came in. She couldn’t see me, or hear me, but she could still smell.

A couple of months ago, right after she finished eating, she shrieked in pain and several minutes went by before the pain eased. These episodes occurred every few days, until recently they happened nearly every day. In the middle of last Wednesday night, she again screamed and I had to hold her for several minutes before she began to relax. Then on Thursday, she was walking down the hall when she suddenly had a seizure and fell backwards on the floor, losing all body control. The time had come. That Rottweiler heart was too strong for her little Maltese body and it was allowing her to suffer too much. We called the mobile vet, who came out that evening. Sassy went to sleep in Judy’s arms. The house is so empty without her.

4 comments:

Castle said...

Sounds like good memories.
Sorry for your loss.

friar tuck said...

I wrote this when my Maggie left us. I changed the name -- hope it helps.

Sassy

Yes her mem’ry brings the tear,
as her leaving brought the crying;
But the long trail held no fear,
for my Sassy in her dying.
See how lightly now she springs,
cloud to cloud as if in flight;
It is freedom she now sings,
as she dances in the light

hjt, 2002

RitaSV said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Sassy...they make places in our hearts that will always be theirs. What a grand life she had! You may have seen this story before but it says it all.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Bonedoc33 said...

Hey Gary, Bonedoc here.

This story hits home with me. My dad has a mass in his brain, and after its surgical removal he was diagnosed with brain cancer on December 17, 2007.

After chemo and radiation, he had a follow-up surgery in April of 2008 at M.D. Anderson in Houston. While he was in the hospital recovering from that surgery, my parents' sixteen year old Yorkie named Sadie went into renal failure and had to be put down. Mom had her cremated and bought a special box with a resin Yorkie on top if it for Sadie's final resting place.

I was 12 when Sadie came into our life, and she took an immediate liking to my dad. She was his dog. I saw here grow from a little puppy that chewed up my stuff into a "mean old woman" that liked no one but us. Even after I married and moved out, Sadie was always happy to see me when I came to visit. After having Sadie in our life for so long, it is strange to not have her around anymore, even after more than a year.

Mom and Dad got another Yorkie, this one's name is Kadie. She, too was Dad's dog, and followed him everywhere.

My dad was called home by God on January 14, 2009. Mom put Sadie's box in Dad's lap in the casket, and she was buried with him. It looks like they both crossed the Rainbow Bridge together.

I can't wait to see them both again.