Wednesday, November 18, 2009

More Catching Up

I’m still fighting Internet connection problems, but it does seem to be improving slightly.

The weather was beautiful today, but the nights are getting colder and fall is quickly turning into winter. Yesterday, for the first time this season, I had to flip the thermostat mode from air conditioning to heat and the days are now so short that we have to turn on the lights when eating dinner. I wish I could say I was looking forward to more cold days and leafless, skeleton-like trees, but I’m completely spoiled by our wonderful summers. I would love if it stayed summer year round.

As I was leaving the house to go into town for coffee this morning, I saw a big whitetail doe having a drink of rainwater from the ditch. Despite hunting season opening last week, she was fearless, but she had better learn quickly if she wants to stay out of someone’s freezer.

The coyotes have also been coming closer to our little development recently. They usually stay in the meadow at least a half-mile away, but last week there was one singing on the hill across the road. The neighbor’s dogs were going crazy, but for some reason, ours paid no attention to the nearby racket.

The last hummingbird is finally gone, so I guess it’s time to take down their lone feeder and put one up for the seed eaters that will be arriving soon. I’ll have to buy new feeders, as the old ones are falling apart from age and marauding squirrels.

I attended a regional Oath Keeper organization meeting yesterday. The Texas group is growing at the rate of 10-15 a day and we now have over 500 members, so interest in the organization is snowballing. The actual numbers of supporters far exceeds the 500, as every day we hear of active duty military and law enforcement people who are unwilling to join officially and have their names revealed on a website, but who strongly support the Oath Keeper positions.

It was a somber meeting, with the members voicing concerns about the administration’s continuing swing to the left, and fear of government retribution for taking a stand in support of the Constitution. I would have never dreamed that the country could become so divided, and the assault on our liberty so intense, in such a short time.

Last week, I had a nice exchange of e-mails with an old high school friend that I hadn't talked to since we graduated. While renewing our friendship brought smiles and good memories, it also brought tears. Her daughter was in one of the World Trade Center towers on 9-11 and didn't survive the attack. The evil tentacles of terrorism even extend into small North Dakota towns.

You can read about her daughter on this website set up in her memory:Ann Nelson

1 comment:

Patricia Stoltey said...

I love the change of seasons and would never go back to year-round summer. After eleven years in Florida, we were eager to leave. We love Colorado for its beauty, its lifestyle, and even its snow.

As for the United States and the Constitution, I'm banking on the power of our votes to get us out of this mess. A lot of peaceful protest (including letters and e-mails to Congress) along the way can't hurt.