Sunday, November 22, 2009

The Eyes Have It


When it seems as if every day brings a new ache or pain in my aging body, it's refreshing to find one thing that's actually getting better. I had my eyes checked last week and for the first time since I was 13-years-old, I have 20-20 vision. I also am free of cataracts...so far! Several of my friends have had cataracts removed, and some were done when they were much younger than I am now.

The doctor said it's not unknown for nearsighted people to have their vision improve with time, but it's not exactly common either. When I was a kid, my mother was nearly blind without her glasses, but by the time she was in her seventies, her sight had improved to the point that she no longer required glasses to drive. At least I inherited one good physical trait.

Unfortunately, my ability to read fine print without reading glasses is deteriorating. I can still read most books, but the fine print they put on bottles and cans is getting awfully blurry. As Bing Crosby said in one of his movies...when you find yourself playing trombone with the newspaper, you know you're getting old.

1 comment:

friar tuck said...

That's great! I went for my exam too, and rated 20/20 as well. Better yet, the retinal hemorrhaging in my right eye is nearly gone. I'm going from trifocals to bifocals, as my eyes have changed for the better.
I've ben thinking about the Lasic surgery, as I still don't like glasses, but that would be too costly.