Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Speaking of Things Dogs Do...

One of the endearing things about dogs is that they have such distinct personalities. Each has different likes and needs, and just like people, they have to be treated differently.

Belle, the oldest Shar-Pei is fearful of people, unless it's on her terms. Generally, she stays beyond touching range, but she loves playing with stuffed toys, especially those that squeak when she bites them. Her favorite game is to retreive a toy from their toy box; bite it a few times to make noise and then bring it to one of us to play tug of war. Of course, she always wins and then she struts around, wagging her tail and looking pleased with herself.

Another thing she enjoys is getting her butt scratched. She has deep wrinkle above the root of her tail and at times, it apparently itches. Then she will come up, bump our hand with her head and back up to us. It's her way of saying that she needs help with an itchy spot. After a good scratch, she again moves beyond reach.

Bonnie, the youngest Shar-Pei, needs loads of affection. She comes up to me, sits as close as she can and then raises her left paw for me to hold...she's a southpaw. While holding her paw, she leans against me and I have to pet and praise her. She closes her eyes and sucks up all the loving she can get.

Cricket is something else, too. She is afflicted with a condition known as a reverse, or backward sneeze. When she gets excited, she begins to make weird sounds, like something a seal might make, and appears to be struggling for air. It's not uncommon in small breed dogs, but the first time we heard it was a scare. The vet said it's nothing serious and that she might even grow out of it.

The older I get, the more I enjoy the company of our furry kids, which reminds me of the old saying: "The more I learn about people, the better I like my dog".

1 comment:

RitaSV said...

Can't say I blame you....