Sunday, May 10, 2009

Tired and Retired

You’d think that being retired means you have all the time in the world to do the things you want, but that never seems to be the case. I’ve been wanting to fix a few things on the convertible before the show season arrives, but something else always has priority. I’d feel guilty playing with the car when there is so much to do and not enough time or energy to do everything.

Flowerbeds have to be finished and flowers planted before it gets hot, and my building project list is as long as my arm. Among the first things I should do is get my workshop enclosed and air-conditioned so I can work there in the heat of summer. I can’t make up my mind what type of overhead door to buy, nor can I decide on an A/C unit. I had better decide soon, or I’ll be doing that job in 100-degree heat too.

On the nature front, both Bluebird pairs are refurbishing their nests in preparation of raising another brood, but I don’t think the Titmouse family was as lucky. I saw only one baby bird outside the hollow tree and he looked as if he left the nest too soon. He couldn’t fly and the parent birds were no place to be seen. I put the youngster in a heavy shrub so he could hide, but the next day I found him dead a few feet away. He probably died from not having food or water. At that age, they need food constantly.

No comments: