Monday, May 25, 2009

D***** Computers!

As I mentioned before, I had a hard drive crash a while back and finally got the new parts installed. It's been a real headache trying to recover everything, especially those applications I downloaded from the Internet. They didn't have a CD, so I had to prove that I purchased them by providing the code sent to me in an e-mail so I could download them again. Well, like a dummy, I didn't back up my e-mail, so now I have no way to prove I paid for the software. I had written a couple of the codes down and kept the info in my file cabinet, but I lost some others, including the 2008version of MS Money.

As the hard drive was failing, I quickly backed up my files to a thumb drive, so I thought I was in great shape to have saved almost everything. Wrong! Apparently you have to indicate what types of files to save, and I didn't tell it to back up my photos. I lost hundreds of dog, house and car photos. I have a few backed up to a CD, but not even a fraction of what I lost. I also lost a lot of music, but at least I can re-record it from the CD's.

Not to be burned again, I visited Best Buy yesterday and bought an external hard drive with enough capacity to back up both of our computers, but I'm having trouble getting it to work right. Very frustrating!

3 comments:

RitaSV said...

OMG!!! I am having horrible deja vu! I am so sorry you're going through this, and especially about all your lost treasures. I'm having some problems with my back up hard drive in that my computer, for some reason, has decided it can't 'find' it. My computer hasn't been backed up for weeks. Yikes!

RitaSV said...

I did a software update last night and my computer is now able to 'find' the satellite hard drive. I was able to back up last night.....I saw that it had been 2 months since my last back up!

Unknown said...

They came up with this neat little thing called external backup. I am sure you are not aware of such things as y'all can't get much more than dial-up out there.

Really do understand that crash thing. The pictures for sure, lost a bunch of my food pix and that really hurts my portfolio.