Friday, December 12, 2008

Multiculturalism my ass!

A question about multiculturalism was asked on a writer’s website I frequent. The person wanted to know if there was a market for multicultural-specific stories. She liked writing about multi-race characters and under-represented ethnic groups. Fine...write about them, but don’t make it an issue by pointing it out! Let your story stand on the plot, not a sympathetic agenda.

Nothing irritates me more than people who insist on packaging our citizens into neat little categories with the intent of creating more groups to feel sorry for, or to use differences to further their agenda. It makes me want to grab them by the throat and inform them that we are all Americans, not hyphenated objects in need of sympathy, understanding, or special treatment.

Whenever I’m asked on a form to identify my race, I refuse to answer. I even refused to answer that question in the last census. The census takers didn’t like that one bit. They sent a couple of threatening letters and called on the phone, trying to get me to answer. I only told them where I lived and that I was an American citizen. They finally backed off.

The Constitution provides for counting citizens, but it doesn’t require the government to gather data that should not even be considered when laws are applied. Justice is wearing a blindfold for a reason and we’d all be better off if we did likewise when dealing with our fellow Americans. We will never resolve our racial, ethnic, cultural, or sexual issues as long as the professional scab-pickers insist on trying to split us into camps.

1 comment:

My name is Erin. said...

Hi, Uncle Gary! I've really enjoyed reading your blog. Especially about the blizzards. I miss Grandma and Grandpa so much and love reading stories about your childhood with them. Makes my heart ache a little less.

Anyway... this blog in particular touched upon something I recently discussed with a couple of classmates in my business class. My friend, Charice, is an "African-American" who prefers to be called black if she must be called anything at all. She dislikes being called an "African-American" because as she says, she's never been to Africa and is an American through and through. It made complete sense to me. So... there is a little more justification for your stance. Not that you needed it. :)