Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Soul Food

Having lived most of my life in the northern part of the country, I really wasn't exposed to soul food until I moved south. Since I'm retired, most of our home cooked meals are simple, easy to fix, and mostly low-cal, low fat, but there comes a time when you have to ignore dietary dicipline and partake in a plateful of pure cholesterol.

Tonight was one of those nights. We just finished a delicious meal of blackeyed peas simmered for hours with several pieces of thick bacon, fried okra, fried yellow squash, homemade bread, and fresh tomatoes. Eating just doesn't get any better!

1 comment:

Linda said...

I lived in the northern part of the country as well, across the highway from you and your cousins, but also have escaped to warmer winters and bbq, but do remember the lefse and lutefisk! My parents were Herman and Violet.