Sunday, April 25, 2010

Another Weekend Without Power

Last Friday night, a strong line of thunderstorms rolled through our area with winds clocked as high as 88mph. We lost power within the first minute and didn't get it back until late this morning. The electic co-op reported that there were more than two dozen power poles down about a mile up the road from us, so I'm guessing another small tornado was the culprit.

We were fortunate that none of the trees in our yard were damaged, but between here and town there were at least three trees lying across the road that had to be cut up and moved before traffic could get by. We were also fortunate that a cool front arrived after the storm passed, so the house stayed comfortable without air conditioning.

As I was sitting in the dark, trying to read a book by the light of a dim flashlight, I vividly recall another storm last winter when I swore I was going to buy an emergency generator so this wouldn't happen again...but this time I'm really going to do it...if I don't forget again.

1 comment:

RitaSV said...

Yikes!!! Guess you got to go 'pioneer' for a weekend! LOL Dave finally broke down and bought a new generator this year. We'd like to get it set up in such a way that we can run power to the heater....the rest of the stuff I can live without but heat, no. I'm just afraid to have an electrician look at our breaker box because I'm sure Brassard cut corners that will end up costing us money to get it 'to code'.