Sunday, January 24, 2010

Sunday Morning

I shouldn't say it too loud, but I believe another one of my epic bouts with a winter cold is about over. I actually woke up this morning feeling half-way human. I’m still congested and have a lingering cough, but compared to the last week, that’s nothing.
I missed out on a lot of great weather while I was sick. Temps have been near and above 70, and except for one day, it’s been dry and sunny. The warmer weather has the birds singing and checking out our bird houses, though one male Bluebird is being a pain by jousting with his reflection in the window every morning. One day I even saw a Cedar Waxwing checking out that handsome stranger in the glass, but he apparently has a higher IQ than the Bluebird, as he quickly left to attend to more serious errands.
A few spring flowers are also tentatively checking out what’s happening above ground. If it doesn’t get cold again, we should be seeing daffodil buds in a couple of weeks. Once they appear, spring seems to arrive pretty fast.
I was hoping to get my car in the paint shop last week, but needless to say, I wasn’t up to stripping out the interior and removing exterior chrome. I did get part of it done, and on Friday, I called the paint shop to see when they could begin. As luck would have it, they had suddenly taken in a bunch of work that everyone wanted done immediately, so he said it now might be a month before I can get mine in. I’m not too concerned yet, since serious top-down convertible season doesn’t really arrive for another two or three months.
It’s been a pleasure watching the panic beset Washington DC after the Massachusetts election. Some of them are actually beginning to understand what’s happening out here in flyover country. Maybe they will finally realize that strange smell in the air is a tar pot warming. I just hope we can keep the pressure on until November. I don’t think Obama can restrain his arrogance enough to placate the anger that exists in the country.
Even here in Texas, our two Republican gubernatorial candidates are feeling the heat from an irate constituency. Last week, a young libertarian-leaning Republican nurse, businesswoman, and rancher, who has been ignored by the media and is woefully underfunded, was declared the unofficial winner of a debate held in Dallas. She had both Perry and Hutchison playing defense, and is suddenly being looked at as a serious candidate. She definitely has the smarts and the integrity to run the state, but I doubt if she has the mean needed to stand up to experienced political hatchet men. I’d love to see her beat them both in the primary election in March. That would really send a message to the Republican Party.

2 comments:

UberGrumpy said...

Count yourself lucky.

It's raining here and Gordon Brown is Prime Minister.

RitaSV said...

Hope you're finally feeling better. I've had the crud for a week and Emily has strep throat for which she got antibiotics last night.

The thermocouple on the heater went out on Monday and it looks like the replacement part won't come in until next Monday. Can you say 'space heaters'?

I'm losing my sense of humor really fast. :o(