Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Pre-Christmas Catch-up

The weeks before Christmas move at a snail’s pace when you are a child, but it certainly isn’t that way when you reach senior citizen status. It seems as if Christmas has been galloping our way since last January, and I can hear the hoof beats already. Unlike most years, I’m actually done shopping, so I shouldn’t complain. The faster it arrives, the faster spring gets here.
For the first time since we moved to East Texas, we’re hosting a Christmas open house for the neighborhood and some of my coffee buddies and their wives. It’s fun to have a party during the holidays, but the party prep and later cleanup are not on my favorites list.
The weather has been typical Texas…schizophrenic. Two days ago it was 70 degrees and while I was cleaning leaves from the gutters I got enough sun to turn a little bit red. But, not to worry, it didn’t last and winter is back, though it’s barely freezing at night and that's what's forecast all week.

Looks like we're going to have another quiet Christmas with just us and the dogs, as no one can get away until Saturday, so like our delayed Thanksgiving, we'll have a delayed Christmas.

No comments: