Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Moon of the millipedes

Seems like every year, it's an invasion of one critter or another. Last fall, it was scorpions, and they were everywhere. Then last summer it was black widow spiders. Over a period of a couple of months, I found 12 inside the mailbox, and dozens more around the yard. I finally bought a can of spider spray and spent much of an afternoon hunting spiders. I killed 15-20, and since then, I've not seen one. I think the increasing number of wasps also helped reduce their number.

The past few days we've been under attack from garden millipedes. They're harmless, but totally disgusting to find all over the house. Every evening, I spray dozens on the patio, but it doesn't seem to affect their number and several manage to find their way into the house overnight.

I'm almost looking forward to the first freeze, which should have an effect on the number of insects.

No comments: