Wednesday, October 22, 2008

I'm not ready for winter!

The dozens of hummingbirds that had been visiting our feeders left almost two weeks ago, and now birds we haven’t seen since spring are hopping around the yard and flitting through the trees as they travel south. Squirrels are busy harvesting acorns, hickory nuts are littering the lawn and the leaves are beginning to turn. With all the signs, you’d think I would have been ready for winter to sneak in the back door...but I wasn’t.

This afternoon, I was sitting on the patio reading a book and enjoying a cup of tea in beautiful 75 degree weather. Then, a dark cloud formed in the western sky, and in minutes, the first cold front of the season rolled through. A cold rain, driven by wind made the temperature drop twenty degrees in little more than an hour. With the forecast for temps in the high forties tonight, I might be up in the middle of the night changing the thermostat from A/C to heat mode.

You’d think that someone who grew up in North Dakota would walk around in short sleeves and sneer at such a mild cold front, but I’ll be the first to admit that living in Texas twelve years has spoiled me. Tomorrow morning, I’ll have to dig my jacket out of the closet before I head for the coffee shop. Life is tough.

C’mon spring!

No comments: