Friday, October 23, 2009

Slip-Slidin' Away



http://www.komonews.com/news/64083722.html

The morning I left Washington to return home, I was greeted by a sign that said Chinook Pass was closed. The Chinook Pass route is my usual shortcut through Mt. Rainier National Park that knocks nearly an hour off the driving time across the Cascade Mountains. Even though the highway is narrow and winding through most of the park, it’s still the preferred route.

Since there had been no snow the night before, I had no idea why they closed the road, but later that day I heard on the news there had been a landslide that blocked the highway near the town of Naches. No one was injured, but several houses were damaged, either by the slide itself, or from water when the river sought a new route through the slide area.

I didn’t much like the extra driving time, but I’m glad I missed all the action. Had I left a few hours earlier, I might have been right in the mess.

1 comment:

Delores said...

I am SO GLAD you missed that mess!! Sounds like you had a nice visit in WA. So did I. Just wish it could have been longer. I would have enjoyed being there the same time you were. Next time I will plan a longer visit and maybe consider overlapping yours to see you also.